17 April 2009

New Soap, New Concept

New Soap, Old Bottle

Now this in an interesting concept. Companies will on occasion sell refills to their products, in those big bottles that are always inexplicably on the top shelf so you risk knocking yourself over the head when you pull one down. (Superfresh also keeps the Kashi crackers on a shelf I can barely reach, and I really think this is explicitly to make my life more difficult).

Anyway, the concept of New Soap, Old Bottle is to cleanse and reuse old soda and beer bottles by filling them with new soap- from companies like Windex, 409, and Dawn. They also, as far as I can tell, have their own line of “Super Green” cleaning supplies, which you can also order on their website.


Now, I would generally prefer that the entire line was the “Super Green”, and they didn’t even fuss with nasty substances like Windex (which I personally can’t use- it sets off my asthma)- but I suppose this is part of their ploy to get people to buy into the concept. Many people (myself included) are suspicious of green lines of cleaning supplies, as there are a lot of brands that claim to be all natural or green, but who may or may not be able to substantiate those claims. (Clorox? Green? Come on.) So when introducing a new concept, especially something people might be a little suspect of (old bottles), it probably makes sense to break them in slowly, with products they’re familiar with.

So, kudos to them for innovation. The idea of reusing old bottles by putting new tops on them isn't exactly new, but the idea of putting new soap in them and packaging it up all nice is rather unique. I will continue to make my own cleaning products out of vinegar and baking soda, and put them in reusable bottles that I thieved from the trash (or my conventional cleaning product using parents), but for those of you who choose not to take the time, or simply prefer conventional cleaning products, check them out. They also sell spray tops and that sort of thing so you can make your own reusable bottles at home.

No comments: