09 March 2010

Confused Fish

Flushed Drugs Harming Bay Fish

I'm totally amused that he believes the fish no longer have any idea of whether they are boys or girls. Its an odd way to say it, it makes it sound like the fish are gender curious or something.

The idea for the take back makes sense to me. I don’t know how likely it is that drug companies will go along with the idea, however. And, as a veteran of recycling programs in general, I know it’s VERY unlikely that people will bring their unused prescriptions back to the drug store. Even I, coordinator of an entire college’s recycling program, constantly forget to take my recyclables up to the college, leading to the giant ziploc bags of batteries on my counter. So it’s a nice idea, and all, but I don’t have any faith that it will work.

I’m not sure what I would propose as an alternative. I do agree that drug companies should be responsible for dealing with the leftovers. They should also be responsible for recycling the containers. Maybe if there was a mail back program? Like when you received prescription drugs at the pharmacy, they came in an envelope that you could send them back in when the container was empty/ when you finished with the drugs but possibly had leftovers? I guess this would cause issues with the mail, ie transporting hazardous materials via the mail service. Who knows what kind of black market drug trade would spring up if you could raid mailboxes and steal leftover prescription drugs. But I don’t currently have any better proposals, aside from thinking that people take far too many prescription drugs in the first place.

Any thoughts?






1 comment:

Amanda said...

People take too many drugs in general, not just too many prescription drugs. According to the article that this post is about, the average person "only" takes one to two prescription drugs per year.

A better way to encourage people to return their excess prescription drugs would be to use some sort of monetary refund system. The simplest (and least costly to companies) would be to include a deposit on the container, just as soda companies did. Then, people could return their prescription bottles, with any excess medication, for a refund of their deposit. The higher the deposit, the more likely people would be to return the containers. Furthermore, the money from unclaimed deposits could go towards fixing the problems resulting from flushed drugs.