07 November 2008

Two Sides to Every Story

Working in the Miller Library on campus has me riddled with two inquiries . First, why does no one seem to be using double-sided printing? Second, why is the temperature of the library controlled by another building? However, let us focus on the double sided printing dilemma.
Initially, I suspected no one would use double sided printing because they were unaware of its existence. I then took it upon myself to design advertising to promote eco-friendly printing, but much to my dismay posters to this effect were already strategically placed throughout the library. Not only were there posters in the library, students were aware of their printing options.
Trying to recover some dignity, I assumed students on a campus that emphasizes saving the environment must have a valid reason for not using double sided printing. Perhaps, the process of switching from single to double-sided printing is too complicated or time consuming. Further research led me to conclude that this process is neither complicated, nor time consuming. I managed to make the switch with about three extra steps. It took about a minute, but I am technologically challenged, and do not follow directions well.
Being absolutely beside myself I decided the students at WAC do not realize just how many trees are being destroyed due to their lack of consideration. Subsequent to a great deal of homework I discovered that there are about three thousand sheets of standard A4 paper per tree. I then set up the following statistics: there are approximately 300 seniors who all print say an average of 50 pages for their thesis, along with 100 pages in drafts and research articles etc. For those keeping score at home that amounts to 45 thousand pages, which is 15 trees; double sided printing reduces this number by half. So if every memeber of the senior class used double sided printing they alone could save eight trees. Not to mention every other student printing play scripts, power points, term papers, or other lengthy documents.
In addition, I found out that it requires 13 ounces of water to produce one sheet of paper. This is more liquid than is in a standard can of soda. Combine this with the above 45 thousand sheets of paper, and that is 585 thousand ouces of water, roughly 4, 570 gallons of water. This is enough water to fill an above-ground swimming pool that is 15 feet in circumference.
We all enjoy having unlimited free printing at the library. I myself often take advantage of it, but do everyone a favor, take the extra minute, change the print settings, save a few trees, and a great deal of water. It is not complicated, it does not hurt, and there are posters with directions for those who are computer illiterate such as myself. Also, if anyone is ambitious enough to install a thermostat in the library I would be grateful. This idea may seem far-fetched , but I think the librarians are responsible enough to regulate the temperature of the library.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You also might be able to speak to the IT department and get the printer/copier settings changed so they print double-sided by default.