17 November 2008

Living in Ctown, Pt. 2

The other aspect of Chestertown life seems to be the startling lack of places to eat. While it may be true that there is no Indian food (a fact that constantly haunts me as I am overcome by waves of cravings for samosas and naan) or decent Asian (King Buffet really doesn’t count- though it is possible to drive to Middletown for OK sushi), it is also true that we are not in India. Or Asia. We are on the Eastern Shore, and there is plenty of quality Eastern Shore food to go around.

Unfortunately the best food is slightly out of reach for the average college student, which is why I (though no longer a student, still not rolling in disposable income) avidly look forward to visits from my parents when I can drag them out to all my favorite restaurants without footing the bill. Even if this is not an option, there are still ways to eat well in Chestertown, the most overlooked of these of course being cooking for yourself. If you want Indian or Asian (especially Thai or Chinese), these are surprisingly easy meals to prepare on a very, very small budget. I’ll post a few recipes soon enough.

In the meantime, a quick guide to the best places to eat in Chestertown. You will notice I place an emphasis on locally owned businesses, as well as those who support local farmers by serving seasonal and locally grown foods. The benefit here is that though there are very few restaurants, the menu constantly changes. It’s like a new place every time you visit.

Brooks Tavern (at Radcliffe Mill)
My all time favorite, Brooks Tavern features the previous owners of the Kennedyville Inn (my former favorite). The menu changes constantly, depending on what’s in season, which, right there, is enough to draw me in. The produce is local, the meat is mostly local, and the chef cooks according to what’s available (imagine!). I’ve never had anything I didn’t like. Though there appears to be nothing vegetarian on the menu, by simply asking you will be provided with the option of pasta or a vegetable plate, an ever changing surprise (and delight) that has forced me to try previously suspicious vegetables (such as brussel sprouts) and find, even more surprisingly, that I like them. It is, unfortunately, on the pricey side. But worth it for special occasions.

Brix (High Street)
A new restaurant featuring tapas and wines, this is another that is a little pricey but worth it for the right occasion. The portions are smaller than you would expect (even if you have had tapas before) but well worth it none the less- my mother and I made our way through three plates of veggie empanadas in one night, they were that good. There is also a wide variety of food, which, for me (a staunch vegetarian), is a rare novelty that never fails to have me bouncing in my seat with joy.

Andy’s (High Street)
You have to be 21 to enjoy Andy’s. But here you will find well priced food, a wide variety, and the thing guaranteed to make me give a restaurant five stars: a seasonal menu. Not only are there specialty drinks (if you haven’t had the spiced, spiked hot cider it is not really winter), but there are salads and wraps and quiches that change with the season. Again, local produce, local meat. Perfect place to stop in after work, sit at the bar, and chat with the locals. My personal favorite are the wraps (or the cheese fries, when it’s been a long day).

Sam’s (Cross, off High)
Now that Sam’s has FINALLY added a veggie sandwich to the menu, I will happily endorse what has long been my favorite place for smoothies, but not much else. Here is a place that is slightly more affordable for students, and the sandwiches are always fantastic (as is the tea selection). If you haven’t sat out back, especially in the summer, you’re missing out. It’s one of my favorite places in Chestertown.

No comments: